Flight ticket deals May
Searching for hot places to go in May? we’ve put together some hot holiday destinations that are perfect to visit in May if you want some sunshine or adventure and can’t wait until the summer. Europe is getting nice and warm now but we’ve also found plenty of other destinations that are great places to visit in May. So for some of the best places to go on holiday see our recommends and holiday offers.
Flight offers for May
- Italy: The sun is really warming up Italy in May, and although it’s not it’s hottest month it does heat up throughout May to reach an average of 25°c / 77°f. This makes May a great month to visit. Italy is one of the Mediteranneans most popular destinations, arriving just before the peak period is especially smart as you will avoid the crowds and expensive summer rates. If you’re looking for a party, Rimini is probably one of the more lively beach destinations followed by the popular beaches along the mountainous backdrop off the Amalfi coast. Enjoy the beaches of Tuscany or some of Italy’s most famous Lakes of Como or Garda while dining on it’s delicious local produce. The typical Italian diet is thought to be a contributing factor for having one of the highest life expectancies in the world, so go on, give it a try
- Majorca – Spain: If you are in Europe and simply refuse to wait until summer for a beach holiday, you can usually depend on the beautiful spanish Island of Majorca for some fantastic beaches and sparkling mediterranean waters. It will be heading towards 25°c / 77°f with very little rainfall. Majorca really is one of those places for everyone, with popular party towns such as Magaluf to the upmarket and elegant city of historical Palma. Sailing, snorkelling and other watersports are really popular, and beautifully maintained stretches of golden sandy beaches have been drawing sun worshippers for years.
- Rhodes – Greece: For a hot European Holiday in May look no further than the pretty island of Rhodes, which has tourists flocking back year after year. The weather in May is heading up towards 25°c / 77°f with very low rainfall. Yes it has it’s loud party towns such as Faliraki, but Rhodes Town itself is is enchanting, and in the Old Town you’ll find the Medieval City among it’s many sights. Head to the gorgeous beaches in Lindos or Ixia or even better hire a car or take a tour of the island to enjoy this beautiful Rhodes to the full.
- Canary Islands: The beautiful Canary Islands never lose their charm, and in May the Canaries are 24°c / 75°f and often higher. The lure of these islands continues well past winter sunshine and on into the summer with short flights from Europe, soft volcanic beaches wherever you turn, virtually no rain and just about something for everyone. Which means the kids will be happy here, the 21-30 year olds will love the night life (and so will the rest of us) and the active types who love their sports and wildlife will be able to tick those activity boxes
- Turkey: May in Turkey is when the heat really begins to turn up and starts out in the early 20’s reaching around 25°c / 77°f by the end of the month. Black Sea destinations are still a little cooler at this time of the year so head to the mediterannean coast of Turkey to really enjoy one of the hot destinations in Europe in May. With literally hundreds of blue flag beaches, the most being in Antalya, you’ll enjoy calm blue sea pefrect for swimming and boat trips, sensational food, fantastic bars and and cities rich with culture and excitement.
- Croatia: Croatia is a destination that is exploding on to the tourist trail in Europe! This small but beautiful jewel on the mediterannean coastline is beginning to get very busy in the summer months, choose May and you’ll benefit from smaller crowds and still enjoy a sunkissed 23°c / 73°f and upwards. Inland, Zagreb, it’s capital is awash with history and culture, with some fantastic restaurants and coffee shops. Split and Dubrovnik are lovely coastal cities, with Dubrovnik boasting the sandy Lapad beach. There are several other sandy beaches along the coast, but where you don’t find sand you will at least find crystal clear waters to dip your feet in
- Portugal: We’ve been waiting for months for Europe to heat up and Portugal in May is one of the first destinations to kick off the summer holiday season. So if you are looking for a hot country to visit in May you won’t go too far wrong with a bit of sunshine on Portugals long sandy coast. Towards the end of May it will be heading to a warm 26°c / 79°f with blue skies and cool evenings. The sea may be a little chilly at this point but if you are happy to lie on the beach or around your pool you’ll be getting your fair share of vitamin D from the sun. There are various festivals across Portugal in May with perhaps one of the more well known one being the Festa das Cruzes at the beginning of May in Barcelos which brings fireworks and music.
- Cuba: For a hot holiday in May head to Cuba. This is not only an island of paradise powder soft beaches but is awash with culture and a unique atmosphere, and probably most importantly if you are looking for a sunny country to visit in May it will be scorching! It’s just coming into the wet season, but we are only talking a thunderstorm now and then which relieves the humidity and it’s likely be around 31°c / 88°f, so get that sun protection on as you can burn very quickly here. It’s not hurricane season until June, so enjoy Cuba now! You’ll be floating around in crystal clear sea in peace an quiet, so if you are looking for a fairly laid back and calm holiday in May you’ll find it in stunning Cuba
- Caribbean Cruises: May is that time of the year in the Caribbean where it’s just heading towards hurricane season next month, so grab your holiday now for May for the hot weather without having to worry too much about the storms. And if you really want to make the most of 2 weeks of sunshine in the Caribbean you couldnt make a better decision than to take a cruise. This way you’ll get to visit several islands in one dreamy holiday, you’ll get to enjoy skimming through those perfect azure waters every single day, and you’ll get the same benefits as an all inclusive hotel along with some great entertainment and dramatic photo opportunities continuously. Temperatures of 30°c / 86°f are fairly constant across the whole of the Caribbean region so May is a good time to visit.
- Antigua: Pretty Antigua is the sister island of Barbuda in the same little Caribbean nation, however Antigua is the larger and more populated island so this is where the majority of holiday makers head. The weather in Antigua in May is typical Caribbean style of lushious sunshine and 29°c / 84°f , and you may have heard that Antigua has rather a lot of beaches for such a small island! Apparently there are enough beaches to sunbathe on for every day of the year so if the word holiday means lounging around on a beach to you, you’ve come to the right place.
- Alaska: Georgeous Alaska blooms into the summer season from May, and as one of the drier and less busy months its the perfect time to go on holiday to Alaska. When we say summer … we are talking 15°c / 59°f. If you are brave enough to visit in the winter months you may be lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis, but what people come to see in their droves from May onwards are the incredible whales and Orcas. Many will take an Alaskan cruise, or a land tour with a day cruise to benefit from the awe-inspring scenery, wildlife and marine life. Alaska is vast so to make the best of it’s sights from Glacier viewing to gold panning it’s a good idea to take an organised tour. With the weather varying dramatically on any given day you’ll need to pack plenty of layers to deal with sunny skies to extremely cold nights, but you will be unlikely to get any snowfall in May
- Georgia: Long known to US vacationers, Georgia in May is a beautiful State to make your holiday destination. Reaching highs of around 28°c / 82°f the weather has warmed up nicely by now and if you are looking for a beach holiday you’ll find miles of sandy beaches on the shores of the islands that follow the coast, as well as around the many lakes inland. Georgia is truly an outdoors state with enough State Parks for every day of the month! So if you are the outdoors type, most offer camping and cottages to rent. Enjoy hiking, cycle trails, lakes, wildlife and you can visit plenty of historic sites throughout the state.
- Florida: For a hot holiday in May head to Florida the Sunshine State. The weather here is truly magnificent in May, and with fantastic beaches, islands, resorts, entertainment and nightlife this beautiful State remains one of the most popular states in the whole of the USA, sandwiched between California and New York in the rankings. The roads are wide and easy to drive if this is your first time driving here, just be aware of a few toll bridges so keep change handy, and it makes for a great fly drive holiday as there is just so much exploring to do if you are not heading just to the Amusement parks. Keep your sun-cream handy as it will be a toasty 30°c / 86°f or so. And getting here before the Hurricane season kicks in next month means May is an ideal month to holiday in Florida.
For those that like it hot hot, not just hot… Jordan starts heading for a whopping in 34°c / 92°f May!! So if you can’t wait for the summer for those kind of temperatures in the Mediterannean take yourself off to Jordan for a beach holiday. Head for the mesmerising Dead Sea, or down south to the tip of the Red Sea for snorkelling and Diving. Jordan is well known for it’s cultural delights and sights and it’s jewel being the incredible Petra, however the sights are almost endless so if you can handle this kind of heat prepare yourself for a spectacular holiday from start to finish
- Dubai: Dubai in May is probably the last month of the year until October that we would recommend visiting Dubai for a holiday. Temperatures here are really on the rise now and around 37°c / 99°f. The following months up to September are the summer months when the heat can get unbareable in the mid to late 40’s centigrade and you could also come across some sand storms. Its still very hot in May so sun protection is the order of the day! Holiday makers come here for luxurious hotels, top restaurants, great beaches and fantastic shopping…and of course guaranteed sunshine
- Qatar: The peninsula of Qatar in the Arabian Gulf attracts international sunseekers, but be warned it gets very hot! And the hot season begins in May reaching averages of 37°c / 99°f. Many visitors make their way to the city of Doha as the multi-cultural and vibrant capital on the coast, with a never ending list of sights from busy spice markets to the Museum of Islamic Art and Katara Village which are some of the top rated. A stroll along the corniche will make for a fantastic view of Doha’s famous city buildings which dominate the skyline. Some of the best beaches in Doha are private, so make sure your hotel has one and if you are looking for a public beach be aware that there is often a fee, but well worth it!
- French Polynesia: If ever there were a time to take a cruise it would be in May through French Polynesia. These idylic paradise islands are so special we often save them for our honeymoon, but if you are itching for a tropical holiday in May you’ll find blue lagoons, coral and hot sun filled days of around 30°c / 86°f and virtually no rain. These many Islands in the Pacific also include the famous Bora Bora one of the worlds highest ranked best Islands to visit